Carer's Allowance is a taxable non means tested, non contributory benefit and is payable to a carer who meets all the following criteria:
- They must care for someone who receives Middle or Higher rate DLA
- They must provide that care for 35 hours or more every week
- They cannot be in full time education
- They must be over the age of 16
- They must have lived in Great Britain for at least 2 of the last 3 years
- If employed, they must earn less than £100 per week after deductions of Income Tax, National Insurance, Pension contributions etc. After allowing for these, up to 50% of your remaining earnings can be used to meet childcare costs.
For more information visit carers allowance website.
Download the Disability Rights UK independent factsheet.