Mobile navigation

SEND Sustainability Plan

If you are looking for information about our new SEND Sustainability Plan see 'SEND sustainability plan'

Health (adulthood)

Find out about health services on offer within Wiltshire for those in the SEND community.

If you are looking for other services that are not SEND specific visit MECC Link (opens new window) which signposts you to lots of Wiltshire health and wellbeing services in one place.

Transition to adult services

There are many services which provide support up to 18 years of age. If you are already working with a service, they should work with you to transition to the appropriate adult services as required.

For health services available up to 18 years, please visit the following page: 0 to 18 years, Health Services

Community Team for People with learning disabilities (CTPLD)

One of the key services you may find helpful when you reach 18 is CTPLD

The CTPLD supports people who have a learning disability, are over 18 years old, and have a health need. They work closely with individuals, and their carers, to help maintain or improve their quality of life, health, and wellbeing. The service is provided in partnership with our Wiltshire Council Adult Social Care colleagues.

They also support carers, and other health professionals and providers, with managing people's health needs.

The CTPLD team work with adults with a learning disability who have complex needs, behaviours, and autism, who require highly specialised support and services to meet their health needs.

For more information and their referral process phone: 0333 0348 198 or visit CTPLD (opens new window).

Urgent and Emergency Care

Urgent and Emergency Care (UEC) services perform a critical role in keeping the population healthy. The NHS responds to more than 110 million urgent calls or visits every year, so it is essential that the system works effectively.

Both urgent and emergency care services play a specific part in supporting patients to receive the right care, by the right person, as quickly as possible.

Early recognition

As young people develop they may need more support with certain activities or may develop slower in certain areas. It is important to discuss this with the health professionals that are regularly available like your GP or school nurses, they may suggest contacting one of the following teams. You may also want to look into the the EHC assessments which includes an Early Support Hub in its process.

Annual health checks 

People with a learning disability often have poorer physical and mental health than other people. This does not need to be the case. Annual health checks are for adults and young people aged 14 or over with a learning disability. To read more information about the annual health checks for people with learning disabilities, and their family/carers visit: Annual health checks - Wiltshire ICB (opens new window)NHS: Annual health checks -Learning disabilities (opens new window) or Mencap: Annual Health Checks (opens new window).

There are also a number of great videos that can help you understand what to expect:

Early support

It is hugely beneficial to get support as early as possible once a need has been identified. This helps a young person prepare for the next steps in their journey in life and learning in the best possible way.

Other supporting health services 

Additional Information

If you did not find what you are looking for please get in touch via our contact us page, feedback helps us improve our services and information. 

Sexual health

Sexual health services include confidential access to testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), HIV testing and supporting including Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), contraception including emergency methods, information and advice.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon